Sunday, February 10, 2013

thank you for the epic proposal, baby

I thought I'll never have a proposal story to tell our future generations.

I've mentioned on a few occasions how boring and how unromantic my mamat is when it comes to planning sweet surprises and how I'm always making fun of the proposal idea that he pitched me before (he said he had a fantastic proposal idea so I pestered him to tell me what his idea was and it turned out to be the ultimate SNOOZEFEST ZZZ). I was pretty sure my mamat dah takut nak even attempt any kind of marriage proposal for me after I poked fun at his idea rabak rabak - plus, we've been engaged for 3 months now (we already had our traditional engagement ceremony November last year) so I figured I'll be one of the girls who will never experience how it is like to be proposed to (in the form of a surprise).

Surprisingly, my future husband has proven me wrong. So wrong. Oh, so wrong.

I would love to retell the whole story but I don't want to bore with details so what happened was:

My mat and I went to Universal Studios Singapore (USS) with half of our Kahwin Khronicles Klan (KKK lol) last weekend because I had discounted tickets from work and this, ladies and gentlemen, was how he proposed:

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


DUDE FREAKING PROPOSED ON A FREAKING ROLLERCOASTER RIDE LAH SIAK.

ERMAGAD WTFBBQ HOW FREAKING EPIC IS THAT SIAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There we were plunging down on a rollercoaster ride in the dark (for the kentalan buah lychees who have never taken the ride before, the Revenge of The Mummy rollercoaster ride is an indoor ride with portions of it being in the dark), me oblivious to the fact that our awesome friends were resisting the urge to scream their asses off so they can smile and hold up the signs spelling out "Will You Marry Me?" to the camera and my awesome mamat was holding out a candy ring to me while carrying out his plan to propose to me! On a freaking rollercoaster! Satu satu gila! Tapi aku suka! Hehehehehehe.

(In case you're wondering why I was posing with my fingers forming an 'O' around my eyes, it's because while we were waiting for our turn to ride the rollercoaster, someone proposed the fun idea of doing the same pose together while smiling to the camera since all of us knew where the in-rollercoaster camera was and I was, like, LET'S GO, MAN, and we decided on "doing that pose together."

Little did I know I would be the only idiot doing that goddamn pose. Haramjat betul.)

Aaaaannnddd before you all say it is all tipu bedek belaka because the above picture is obviously photoshopped, let me tell you why I had to resort to that: It is because the USS management did not allow us to print the proposal picture!!!!! All because their rules and regulations stipulate that nobody is allowed to hold up signs during rollercoaster rides due to security and safety concerns!!! I was devastated about not being able to keep the picture as a personal keepsake of such a precious moment but I don't want to ruin such a beautiful moment - why ruin it when I can choose to remember it positively kan? I pun tak nak kecoh kecoh bang table about it lah, because I understand their concern of such an epic proposal picture going viral and some assholes and trolls in this rigid and narrow-minded Singaporean society that we live in questioning their safety measures and totally missing the sentimentality of such a lovely and unique proposal. Nanti dorang jugak yang susah.

Plus who am I to demand USS management to accede to my request and threaten nak complain and boycott segala? Why would I want to boycott USS?! I love rollercoaster rides. Which is why I love love love his proposal!!!!! I love the fact that he took into account my love for rollercoasters and I truly madly deeply appreciate the fact that he thought of a really fun and creative way to encapsule our relationship into a proposal we can remember together for a lifetime.

Whiiiiiccchhh is also why I asked my mamat and friends whether we can re-enact the whole scene on the ride just before closing time (which explains why there were no other riders except us lulz) just so I can ask my sister to photoshop the picture and we can have some kind of remembrance of such a darling moment :D

In case you're wondering how he salvaged the situation - what happened was me being totally oblivious to the fact that they came up with Plan B - after going on a few other rides, the mamat meronyok nak smoke ("kalau tak smoke, I mesti muntah" tsk drama queen ~as usual~) so I suggested going to the smoking area near Mel's Drive-In so we can terus head for lunch after that. I was wandering ahead on my own because I was puzzled about something (I was engrossed in this silly observation that I made hahahahaha) and had my back to them when Nad asked whether I could take a picture of "the four of us", meaning Sham, Aisyah, Ahmad and herself. 

And then, right at the moment I clicked, this happened:



I had no idea this was Plan B, and I seriously didn't see it coming, so all I could do was madly shriek:"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! ARE YOU *FREAKING* KIDDING ME?!"

On instinct, I turned around to look at my mamat, and this was how he looked like when I turned:


Y U SO ADORBZ NI!!!!! WHY?!?!?! WHY?!?!?! WHY?!?!?!

HOW CAN I NOT SAY "YES" WHEN YOU LOOK SO ADORBZ LIKE THAT?!?!?!

I was so, so, so happy to get such a lovely surprise, I just shrieked a really quick "YES!",  a few tourists shouted out their congratulations, we took a picture to commemorate the moment and that was it. Plan B was much more simpler but I still love it anyway because he managed to do some kind of recovery while still really surprising me with it! Thank you so, so much for indulging me with such awesome memories, b!!!

And I seriously cannot thank the Fantastic Four who were there for our two proposals lol - Sham for kicking off my mamat's thought process by asking "What describes you guys as a couple?" (The answer was "Fun!" by the way hahahahaha) and Ahmad for suggesting "Buat next weekend bila kita pergi USS sua" which then triggered my mamat to say "Eh propose atas rollercoaster ah, amaciam?!" + Nad and Aisyah for giving their absolute support to the idea and all of them being so awesome and daring to pose for the camera walaupun itu rollercoaster tengah plunging down into darkness!!!!! KORANG AWESOME OK!!!

(I also appreciated the fact that he did this on our 3rd monthversary of our traditional engagement! Hehe.)

Never mind the fact that the weather was alternating between drizzle and rain while we were at USS that day (I totally blame it on Nad by the way - "Goes to USS for the first time. Rains whole day. #badlucknadai" hahahahaha), never mind the fact that the USS management was being a total old hag for not giving us the picture - I love that day, I love the proposals and I love you guys to death.

And to Saliheen, who is the ultimate love of my life - it's okay if the epic proposal wasn't as perfect as how it should be, and it's okay if our upcoming wedding doesn't turn out as perfect as we want it to be - all I know is you'll be there for all the important moments of our lives together (picture or no picture) and you'll keep me laughing everyday for the rest of my life - and that, my love, is as good as perfect for me. Love you, baby!

12 comments:

  1. Hey you, congratulations!!!! (Though yeah you may have already received tonnes of well wishes time tunang but doesn't hurt to receive well wishes TWICE; or the ring on the finger twice too! Heh)

    I saw your post on IG about USS not allowing you to have the photo and I was quite (sebokly and takde-link-ly) devastated for you. I mean, we all know how big proposals are to girls and denying one of its photographic memory is just plain mean! But really quick thinking & super smart lah wahlao on your part to have it re-enacted for it to go under Photoshop! Yay to quick fixes! And you really made the rule of "no items allowed on the ride" go down the garbage can. No problem, ada Bimla - like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe thank you hon!!! i tried asking USS management whether we can sign undertaking not to put the picture up on social media and keep it solely for personal keepsake tapi kena reject jugak seh haiz takde hati perut seh dorang!!!

      oh well. kena make do with what we have ajelah - which in this case is good old photoshop! hehe

      Delete
  2. Aww so shweet! I feel you babe coz you can't keep the picture to show your anak, cucu and cicit but as long as he proposed and ade plan B lagi! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah very sweet and very grateful for it hehehe thank youuuuu!

      Delete
  3. I love proposals that reflect the couple/relationship! Congrats again babe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe me too! thank God saliheen took that into account hur hur thank you dear!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. don't think our friends and my mamat were all that steady trying to hold the signs while resisting the urge to scream for their lives hahaha but yeah, super steady proposal in another sense hehe thank you my dear!

      Delete
  5. Love the proposal! Alot of thought put in and ada plan B lagi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! i still get a kick out of saying i got proposed to on a rollercoaster hehe

      Delete