Sunday, April 21, 2013

happy updates! (and one less than manja experience)

Happy updates on the last few items on our wedding list!

(1) Bridal Shoes

Can you freaking believe it - I've found my dream bridal shoes for the wedding without any intention of doing so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I have been paying special attention to shoe shops whenever I go out for lunch (perks of working within walking distance to two shopping centres) for the past two months but nothing ever catches my eye. I was not too bothered by it really, because:
(a) I still have 6 more months to search for the perfect pair... and I think that's more than enough time to find bridal shoes. Right?!

(b) There is a possibility I might change my mind and have to buy another pair after I go for my outfit selection. Never know what'll happen - dah happy happy beli kasut kahwing way before outfit selection lepas tu bila pergi choose baju pengantin three months before the wedding tiba tiba colour and/or design tak kena with the outfits pulak.

(c) My married girlfriends tell me I can worry about getting a pair that I will love wearing because a good and pretty pair will make me feel really happy about wearing it but not too much sampai tulis emo poems slit wrist segala because firstly, there is a high chance I'll wear it during the wedding only and secondly, nobody will really notice during the wedding anyway (Aisyah asked me whether I remembered her bridal shoes to which I had to sheepishly admit with an "Errrrr... no.")
After considering the above, I figured bridal shoes is not something that I have to prioritize now and told myself I'll only actively search after I've gone for my outfit selection three months before the wedding.

And then... this happened:

Sham, Aisyah, my mat and I went to JB over the weekend to cut hair and buy groceries at Southern City and after we were done, we had to decide whether to head to KSL City Mall or City Square JB for lunch. Sham was championing KSL City Mall because my mat and I have never been there before - I actually preferred to go to City Square JB because terasa macam nak makan at Sizzling Stone Grill. But tak tau kenape, someway or another, my heart macam reluctant to voice it out because Sham seemed really keen on checking out the makan places in KSL City Mall.

Plus! My mat and I already told them before the trip that we'd follow their itinerary (because they were the ones who wanted to run errands in JB and we were there just to teman them for fun) and there really was no harm checking out a place we've never been to before kan? So I shrugged it off and we went with Sham's suggestion. 

Reached KSL City Mall and started walking around to look for interesting makan places that are not available in Singapore - takde maksud eh pergi JB pastu makan kat KFC or Seoul Garden (speaking of which... did you know that Seoul Garden provides halal catering for weddings too?!) But someway somehow by a fantastic twist of fate, I caught sight of a super cute concept shoe shop called 'Sugar'... and that was when I saw it - I SAW THE BRIDAL SHOES OF MY FREAKING DREAMS!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I took photos of the super cute shopfront but I was too distracted and excited to remember so here's a lousy screenshot off KSL City Mall's website haha:
 


They had a glass display filled with sparkly and glittery shoes suitable for weddings and just before the salesgirl brought down the pair I pointed out, I caught a glimpse of the price for another pair on a higher shelf - looked like RM239 or RM259. Thought that was not too bad, considering that it wasn't too far off from my budget for bridal shoes. Slipped on the pair I wanted and this, my friends, was how I felt and looked like:


So what else was there to do, right??? Told the salesgirl "I'm taking this!" and then she told me the pair I chose was on 20% off! Ish ish ish, ini anak... siang siang tak cakap, pandai betul kau buat orang lompat kegembiraan eh?! But just when I thought nothing could have made me happier after that, I asked her to confirm the price for the pair I chose so I could calculate the discounted price... and she said the original price for that particular pair was RM199!!!!! And all the while I thought it was above RM200 lor!!!

So there you have it - dream bridal shoes cost me RM199 + 20% discount = RM159.20 = SGD64.90. Ok, now. Exactly how does my dream pair of bridal shoes look like ni???

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE MY BRIDAL SHOES TO THE END OF TIME, CAN?!?!?!?!?!

Ok, here's a close-up for those yang suka tengok benda dekat dekat:

 

(I suspect the black markings on the sole was caused by me doing a little shuffle dance inside the shop because I wanted to see whether I can move freely in the shoes. Also because I wanted to dance my excitement out before I burst into flames of glory hahaha)


Took about a million pictures because I am freaking obsessed with my bridal shoes.

How can I not be? It is exactly what I dreamt of having but thought impossible because it looks like it only belongs on the glorious pages of Pinterest. And how often do you get something that fits all your pre-set criteria? This beauty fits all my criteria for bridal shoes ok:

- Must have thick platform

- Must have thick heels

- Must have bling blings all over

- Must be white or nude in colour

- Must be at least 4 inches high

- Must be covered (cannot be open-toe)

- Must cost less than SGD100

I was actually quite ready to let go of the "Must have bling blings all over" criteria because I figured it must be difficult to find something like that for under SGD100, and there is NO way I am ever going to DIY and pasang the bling blings one by one onto a plain kasut just to get that effect. Looks like I'm wrong because someone somewhere out there had taken on the daunting task of painstakingly pasting the bling blings one by one onto the kasut just so someone (me) can have her dream bridal shoes at a very good price - so whoever you are, I'm sending you lots of love and sparkle ok! ♥☆

And oh, guess what! With me hugging the shoes close to my chest (haha takut kasut tu lari pe), we headed to Oyster King for lunch after that... but found out that they were out of oysters for the day! (Ridiculous kan Oyster King running out of oysters?!?!?! Ape punya king tak guna ni, pergi letak jawatan and jadi nelayan sua. Gi pancing oysters sana.) We looked around for other makan places but tak berkenan with anything else so we ended up leaving KSL City Mall to have lunch at City Square JB instead. Turns out Aisyah wanted to makan at Sizzling Stone Grill but didn't voice it out earlier as well! So end up we went to KSL City Mall for nothing... except for me to unintentionally discover the bridal shoes of my dreams! YAY!

Fate works in wonderfully mysterious ways, doesn't it? My mat and I punya belief in rezeki and takdir was strongly reinforced after what happened during our BTO journey and this is another example that God has rewarded us with. Alhamdullilah for that! And now I can't wait to bring them babies out for my bridal outfit fitting appointment :D
 
Might have to peel them off my feet now and stop wearing them to sleep so they'll stay fresh and new for the wedding..........

(2) Invitation Cards

Already settled the invitation card design for our dinner reception (I love it!!! Thanks Adik!!! I love you till the end of time muah muah) so last I updated, we're left with the afternoon reception punya invitation cards.

A little hiccup here because we cannot seem to find anything his parents like :( Kita dah tunjuk invitation card vendors to them but semua macam cannot fit their liking. His mum quite liked Ruzanna's invitation card which was designed and printed by Card Maison (we passed her the card as sample) but even after we tried to steer them towards making a decision by telling them about Card Maison's promo last March, it was a no go.

Then we recently saw something from From Fran With Love that we thought might suit his parents' taste but even after a few rounds of possible revisions and suggestions, they are still not budging! My mat sampai dah give up wholesale and told his mum to cari her own sources haha.

(This was the card design that we thought his parents might like, by the way - if you prefer to have something other than the usual trendy postcard fare that's very popular now, you can approach From Fran With Love for this kind of card design:


Very simple but very pretty hor~~~)

On my end, I asked my mum the paling-relek-jek mak pengantin and my dad for their preferences but their replies were "Sembarang" and "Kau lah pilih, ayah ibu pilih nanti kau tak suka, kau tu kan cerewet" respectively. Lol. Trust my parents to know me so well lor.

So I looked through the different card design and printing service providers in the market (other than Card Maison, since we already missed the cut off period to place orders for our November wedding) - there's Pretty White Veil, Kad Pengantin, The Card Room, Studioflux Concepts, Khookhoodoodle (sister company of Innovazione Gubahans - whose gubahan designs are getting even more prettier by the day!) and the newly launched Paperkard (With a fellow kakak kahwing behind it! Hi Shuhada! :D)

But somehow I'm already very comfortable with From Fran With Love after liasing with her for the past two to three weeks sooooo I've finally decided to engage her services to design and print my wedding invitation cards! Absolutely love her service ok! She's super duper patient with my queries, always very cheery and friendly (Yay fellow Farhana! "Farhana" means "Happiness" by the way hehe) and keeps apologizing for "late replies" padahal lambat reply two to three hours je seh. Heh. Some sample designs off her Facebook page, in case you're interested!







So yes, I settle the kettle for the wedding cards already YAYYYYYYY. Damn outstanding task been bugging me for months and now it's finally out of the way woohoohooooo.

(3) Baju for Groomsmen and Bridesmaids

Another thing that's finally out of the way is the baju baju kuat for our orang orang kuat! My mat met the guys to choose their fabrics and have their measurements taken at Grand City Tailor whereas I met the girls at Joo Chiat Complex to have their measurements taken and pass the fabrics we previously bought from Princess Fabrics to a well-known tailor called Manja last weekend and had both groups meet for lunch.

BY THE WAY - Can I just use this opportunity to complain about my horrible maha terrible experience at Manja??? The nyonya who attended to us WAS FREAKING RUDE AND CONDESCENDING TO THE MAX, PLEASE. Every single thing we requested for was replied with a "Ini design tak lawa lah!!!" "Lu buat gini tak cantik!!!!" "Apa pasal lu mau buat macam gitu???" "Wah lu mau bikin ini design wa manyak susah wor" "Ini design manyak leceh lah!!!" siap with jeling menjeling and annoying jabbing gestures EH SIAL LAH, aku peh suka, aku peh pasal ah aku nak buat macam mana sak.

You're already so overpriced because you pride yourself for good tailoring and workmanship kan??? If you're so bloody good at tailoring then how come semua pun you tak boleh buat and semua design pun leceh to buat or tak cantik to you???? One of the girls kept saying I should tolerate it because "semua tailor memang grumpy macam gitu pe" but I super hate when people who are good at what they do become mother bloody yaya and act like an asshole just because "they can afford to do so".

Plus she was not just grumpy, she was RUDE and she was CONDESCENDING. Not manja at all lor. I pay you good money to do your tailoring magic, not to be give me and my friends your perangai puaka. My regular tailor (who is also a nyonya by the way) is nowhere near grumpy like this mother bitchy nyonya, and even when she thinks a particular design tak akan suit the person wearing it, she will patiently explain why and suggest sound alterations to the original requested design.

It might have been my rotten luck to be attended to by that particular nyonya at Manja though - my girlfriend who often sends her stuff for tailoring at Manja told me that there are two shops at Joo Chiat Complex under the name Manja and the one that she always go to is another unit and the service there is much better than the one I went to. Pfft.

Will go to the other unit with my sisters next two weeks (because I need to get their measurements done as well for their baju) to see whether the experience is any better. For what it's worth, after I posted a picture on Instagram and captioned out my grievance with the nyonya, I had a few other people commenting to tell me they have had less than desirable service from the unit that I went to. Workmanship memang tip top tapi service macam siak. Urgh, marah ni >:-(

Ok dah that's it lah, tak nak angry and negative lagi because angry and negative vibes will be rewarded with angry and negative karma. So I shall now be a true blue Farhana and be very happy that at least we got to meet and catch up with every single one of our orang orang kuat all at one shot last weekend! :D :D :D :D :D


Sayang korang ke hujung dunia and thanks for making the effort to indulge us, guys!!!

And thank you for reading this whole chunk of an entry, korang. Sorry nak kena potong this entry abruptly because dah nak masuk my sleeptime. I pun kena get some sleep ok, you think I 24 jam blogging, vendor stalking and cari inspiration for the wedding is it.

26 comments:

  1. Hahaha I'm damn excited to see the baju lah! And you and Aisyah make Sham sound like a fierce person lah padahal he confirm say ok jom to City Square. Anyway, the shoes are chio and kalau orang tak ingat kasut kahwin, flying kick sikit and make sure the photographer captures it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ALSO VAIR EXCITED!!!!! no matter what bloody grumpy auntie says, you girls are gonna look SO fab. and no lah, he said about going to KSL three times ok, so we knew he was really inclined towards KSL and didn't want to say no to him!

      thank you for saying the shoes are chio!!! it's better than my white patent heels eh??? hahahahaha

      Delete
  2. i understand this kind of happiness, cos very kelassss the kasut! congratulations on hitting jackpot with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starting a campaign - 'Say NO to white patent heels.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey hey!! kasut u!! i will drag the man to jaybee and make him sit at HOUSE until i get mine!! =) Tapi mine cannot too high la, hehe, if not i terlebih tinggi! heh! and u finally did ur cards, yay!! thanks for sharing my fellow happiness lady! hehe! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes go find your bridal shoes!!! not sure if you're intending to go Sugar at KSL City Mall but must go cepat cepat cepat because there was a sign that said dorang tengah closing down sale D:

      should've asked when they're going to close down haiz

      and YES! very happy i've settled the cards! insya Allah will turn out nice and happy and pretty :D

      Delete
  5. I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THE KASUT!!!!!
    Make sure u stretch it out of your wedding dress for your photographer to take pic of it. Like reaaaallly stretch. You know the Angelina-Jolie-Kaki-Stretch-Pose. hahaha
    It is gorgeous and a steal!

    I ever walked out of Manja because the auntie was annoying the hell out of me. I grabbed my kain and said "Semua tak lawa, semua tak leh buat, then saya jahit sendiri lah!" before i left. hahaha

    and i will NEVER step into Manja again.

    My current tailor is a malay tailor yang cakap punya lah mcm sing-song, i feel like breaking into nursery rhyme when i see her. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!!!! I VERY LOVE JUGAK!!!!! should've seen how i was holding and caressing and talking to the shoes inside the car hahaha. naik gila.

      lol at your angeline-jolie-kaki-stretch-pose suggestion lah! don't know yet if i can do that lol, but will definitely paksa my photographer to take shots of the kasut from different angles and lighting segala hehehe

      and OMG, you got the same terrible treatment kat Manja lah ni?!?!?! would've done the exact same thing if it was for my own baju but i knew how keen my bridesmaids were to hantar their baju there so i didn't want to ruin anything for them. kept quiet throughout! i think it was very obvious i was fuming though, because i refused to talk or acknowledge the nyonya tailor after that. hrmph.

      lucky you have a new tailor who sounds like she's more cheery haha!

      Delete
  6. Wahhh ur heels damn tinggi if oni I can wear that high on my day but unfortunately my mamat a few cms taller than me oni. Npknye pakai crocs la LOL!! But very nice la ur heels, so good that wat u cant find here, u found it across the causeway, cheap2 good2 summore la.

    Aisehh, I like Manja’s baju so much lo but when I tgk the price, $500 for a baju with intricate designs and sewings, terima kasih ajelah. So steep sia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ape seh pakai crocs! although crocs will be 10x more comfortable than my bridal shoes lor!

      i didn't really look at Manja's off the rack baju baju because i was TOO angry at the nyonya seh. very the spoil mood, how to even consider giving them business like that. hrmph!

      Delete
  7. YOUR SHOES ARE SO FAB! I LOVE THEM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. cantik la your shoe! i nak jugak!!
    nanti jangan lupa show off your Blinggg Blinggg on your wedding day k!

    Anw thank you darling for mentioning me here!
    love you laaaaaa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wooooo cepat go masuk JB! but must go quickly ok, because Sugar is apparently closing down soon D: forgot to ask them when they're closing down though haiz

      and not a problem at all dear, all the best for your wedding preps ok! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the shoe! So bling! My fiancé would actually prefer the food at KSL over City Square but that's just him haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay thank you! *muka sparkling*

      i think that day memang tekak dah nak sizzling stone grill, that's why tengok other makan places kat KSL macam takde yang berkenan hehe

      Delete
  10. Hello! Ur blog is very interesting n funny pulak tu! Haha..anyway i wud like to recommend a tailor named alice tailoring at arab st. I sentmy baju nikah (im a bride to be too! In shaa Allah!) there n e quality is superb! Not to mention e daughter, irene, who served me is polite n patient lor! They are located at 60 arab st kat atas, kedai below is sharvan. Good luck wit ur preps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello dear, thank you so much for your kind comment!

      greatly appreciate the tailor recommendation - i knew there has to be good tailors who give good service as well! i'll definitely look that tailor up when i have the next opportunity.

      good luck with your preps too ok :D

      Delete
  11. Shoes MAHA cantik!! I MAHA jealous! Hmmph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha so many MAHA! thank you MAHA banyak to you ye! hehe :P

      Delete
  12. Ahh the shoes are super jam to the bu lah! Yang kedai dekat KSL you beli ni ada kasut lain yang blings blings juga ke? Ni lepas wedding make sure this shoe kene pakai tau kalau tak sayang hehehe :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup ada! they have different types and designs with blingz to the blingz

      i already planning to pakai for raya after the wedding! biar lah orang nak cakap terlalu bling and terlalu over for raya, too sayang to leave it collecting dust seh hehe

      Delete
    2. oh dear oh dear i dah menggeletis ni nak tgk kasut2 tu. Maybe I shall make a trip down to KSL this saturday ke hapa la kan. So geram!! Thanks for sharing... yes pls pakai time raya dari jauh orang nampak pon tahu ahh ni mesti KK tau hehehe :D

      Delete
  13. SESUNGGUHNYA I SUKA YOUR BRIDAL SHOE!!!!!!!

    Sumpah i kene practice walking in heels dari hujung tahun nie. Maklumlah, keje pakai sneakers. Klua pakai sneakers.
    Time-time pakai heels cuma time Raya and time jemputan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sesungguhnya i pun suka!!! hehehe

      yes babe, must start to practise! hari hari balik kerja put on your heels and start catwalk satu rumah hehe

      Delete