Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Pre-Wedding Preparations (Part 3)

Okay, sudah tiba masa for my last installment entry on my pre-wedding preparations! Baik ah man, satu lagi entry, siap!

27 October 2013 (Sunday)
Facial Appointment at Spa Jelita

Remember I booked a facial session promotion with Spa Jelita in January this year during a wedding exhibition? After 10 long months, I finally fixed my facial appointment with Spa Jelita the Sunday before my wedding day!

I thought I'd be excited to go for my first facial session ever (yes, I've never done facials before!) but surprisingly, I was pretty blasé when I went... might be because I was ngantok and just wanted it over and done with ah haha.

The entrance and the waiting area!



I think I'm quite lucky to have girlfriends who regularly go for facial sessions and they've shared with me before that facial extractions can hurt like a mother efffffff, so I sort of knew what I was in for? But I don't think all the horror stories from my girlfriends prepared me for the actual freaking pain ah.

Remember I mentioned that I have high pain threshold in my previous entry? Looks like I might have found something that borders closely near my pain threshold haha! Let's just say if I had to choose between kena hit on the face with a periuk besi and facial extraction, I'd choose getting hit on the face with a periuk besi anytime any day 20 TIMES OVER LAH EH.

The consultant did ask me whether I was doing fine and whether the pain was too unbearable for me at the initial stage of the extraction but because I just wanted it to be over and done with, I told her I was fine and she can continue at the pace that she was going at.

But really, this was me when the consultant was doing the facial extraction on my nose... for what felt like a million days of summer:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a131/elven_mage/a%20Tumblr%20Gifs/InternallyScreamingDWMartha.gif

And here's a picture of the torture chamber. Hahahahaha what what.


And the nice cosy bathroom area that you can meraung at after your torture session is over hahahahaha


But only extraction part yang buat aku macam nak nangis bawah ketiak mak aku ah. The rest of the facial was fine, and I even got some needed shut-eye during the session.

So what is my verdict on my first ever facial session with Spa Jelita?

Verdict: Meh. I don't think I'll go back to them for facials lagi ah. It seems like whatever facial treatment they did for me was not very suitable for my skin because my skin became much much much drier after that D: Or is dryness of skin supposed to be normal after a facial session??? I wouldn't really know because I've never been for facial sessions before this lah kan.

I let it be for about three days but the maha dryness didn't let up so I decided to buy a box of My Beauty Diary's Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Mask from Sasa and wore them for half an hour before I went to sleep for the last few nights before the wedding. Helped to alleviate the dryness, heng! I must admit the facial extraction did what it was supposed to do though, because I can haz no blackheads and whiteheads on my face, y'allz! Itu part ah yang workz.

And I guess I should be grateful it didn't turn out teruk like the incident I mentioned here previously, right??? Itu rabak siak, till today I wonder which beauty establishment caused that whole uproar tau.

The mehness of the facial session made me a bit apprehensive about my spa and massage session with Spa Jelita (which was scheduled a few days after that) but as it turns out, I didn't really have to worry because it was much better than my facial session. Deets in the later part of this entry!

30 October 2013 (Wednesday)
Haircut, Face Threading & Purchase of Contact Lens 

My leave already started by this time so I took the opportunity to tie up loose ends, give more instructions to vendors, as well as moarrrrr personal grooming.

First up was a much needed haircut at my usual hairdresser because my split ends was so serabai here there everywhere!!! I know, I know, I'm always having hair issues (had one during my engagement and another during my pre-wedding photoshoot bah) so this was actually another gamble I took - cutting my hair a few days before the wedding ha ha ha ha ha TAK SERIK SERIK AH INI ANAK. Memang mintak kena rotan.

Lucky it turned out fine this time round ah. Nasib pengantin kot?! :P

The next session was a full face threading session - as recommended by Nani because she said that it will make a difference to the kecerahan and glow of my face! So I scheduled a full face threading session with my regular threader (?) instead of my usual eyebrow threading session, and I am happy to report that memang ada difference seh! Awesome or whuttttttt.

Also went to my neighbourhood optician after my threading session to buy the "big eye" contacts! You know the ones yang make your eyes look bigger??? I think they're also known as circle eye contacts - I chose Geo Bella's black ones because the salesgirl told me it's the most natural-looking. (You can also read reviews here and here.)



Yang ini, Kak Nora from Ishq By Nora Zee was the one who suggested I get a pair because she said it'll make a (positive) difference to the way I look!

To be honest kan, I was very apprehensive about wearing these on my wedding day, and the reason is because I've used them before and they made me look like kakak kepada Ju-on lah siak. Tak bedek, geng. I'd put up a picture from when I wore them briefly back in 2007 but if I did, habislah korang tak boleh tido, terkencing kencing kat atas katil malam ni.

But I really didn't have to worry so much because the contacts turned out great on me (after make-up) in the end and did make a difference okay!!!!! If I may say so myself lah eh. Hur hur.

I didn't take a 'before contacts' and 'after contacts' picture (drats!) so I just sharing this gambar which I kapok from Kak Nora's Facebook je okay:


The contacts still look a bit weird on me when I'm not wearing make-up (possibly weird with light daily make-up too) so not sure if I'll wear these contacts again for daily use :/ Maybe during special occasions when eyeshadow + thicker make-up than usual is required??? 

30 October 2013 (Wednesday)
Bridal Room Setup By Bonito By Bob

That night, after I was back from running errands and my personal grooming sessions semua, Bob and his awesome Bonito By Bob team came over to start setting up my bridal room! It took a little longer than their usual setup time of about 2 hours but it was so worth it and I am very excited to report that this was one of my favourite highlights from the whole wedding!!!!!

How can it not be, when my bridal room setup LOOKED LIKE THIS:


 You can watch an instavid of the bridal room tour (lol) here.

IT WAS SO PRETTY, I CAN'T EVEN. SERIOUSLY. But all these excitement yang membuak buak I shall save for later later eh, when I do my final review on Bonito By Bob. For now, all you need to know is that my bridal room was crazy awesome and if you want a bridal room that is as crazy awesome, you all know lah who to look for!!!!!


Oh, another thing - by a stroke of luck, Bob also passed me two of my pre-wedding pictures which he initially printed out to put up as decor but didn't use in the end - I was feeling uninspired on how to do the signages for our afternoon reception tables, you see, and the pictures he gave were perfect. One of me, and one of Saliheen :D

Activated my sisters to help me cut out the wordings from construction paper before sending it off to the printing shop for lamination.


Tadaaaaa~! Not the most creative of ideas but as long as it serves its purpose, it was good enough for me.

31 October 2013 (Thursday)
Spa and Massage Appointment at Spa Jelita

Two days before the wedding, I started the day bright and early with a bridal spa and massage session at Spa Jelita.

Their lorong lorong:


The spa and massage room:


This session turned out better than my facial - I felt rejuvenated by the end of it, and I don't really have any major complaints about the whole experience. The masseuse who attended to me was friendly and their ambience was pretty great + I expected some kind of package hardselling at the end of the session but there was none of that so that's a yay!

If you ask me whether I'll go back there for another session, I'll probably give you an unenthusiastic "Maybe" though - the overall experience was fine but I feel as if the spa and massage sessions that I've had in Batam and Bintan were more satisfying and  lagi worth my money? (I would've gone for a bridal spa and massage session in Batam or Bintan if I could, but I didn't want to travel days before the wedding so that was out of the question.

Also, I've not been to other spa and massage salons in Singapore so I can't really do a legit comparison.

31 October 2013 (Thursday)
Printing of Guest Seating Chart  

As some may know by now, my guest seating chart list for the dinner reception looked a little something awesome hahaha like this:


My mamat and I had a bit of trouble with the guest seating chart - due to the uncertain nature of guest lists, we had to constantly change the seating arrangements and couldn't print the chart earlier to get it out of the way.

(As a matter of fact, I was still inviting people weeks before the wedding because I had a few more people I wanted to invite and had to puss-in-boots-face my way through my mamat's heart first in order to get him to agree to an extra table hehehe)
 
I actually thought of a way to counter this issue - I suggested printing out the table bases on big boards, then separately print and cut the cartoon faces into individual pieces so we can still play around with the seating arrangements as and when our guests informed us they were able or unable to attend. We could have put velcro or sticky tape at the back of the face pieces and pasted them onto the board according to the assigned tables - the concept is a little something like this, you know?

But the idea of the guest seating chart not looking as seamless if done that way remained as a bugbear for me so I persevered to the end and only printed out the guest seating chart two days before the wedding (oh wait, was it one?). Cut it pretty close but IT WAS BLOODY WORTH IT, SUCKERS!!!


This was from the night before, when my sister was helping me make the last minute changes and improvements to the seating chart. Thank you my adik tersayang for spending so much time on this lovely piece!!!!!

Much love for helping me design my invitation cards for the dinner reception tooooooo! Which of course, looks like this:




The front part has a scratch out portion!

Something very simple but I loved that we managed to incorporate scratch out stickers into our invitation cards!!! The scratch off portion, when scratched, reveals our names and the link to our wedding website :D

You can also see an instavid of the card getting scratched (haha that sounds so salah somehow) here.

I was a bit concerned about the invitation cards being too simple but it turned out to be a hit! We were especially surprised when we realized our male guests were the ones who got all excited over the scratch off portions haha (I mean, it's always safe to assume that females will be more appreciative of such... fun details, yes?)

On the other hand, a lot of our female guests told us they didn't want to scratch the card off because dorang rasa macam "sayang" wtf. Melampau eh korang, yang korang nak sayangkan card jemputan aku tu dah kenape?!?!?!

I also know that the element of surprise is not reaaaaally there because, well, all of our guests already knew we were getting married during the Deepavali weekend but we decided to just go ahead with this card design just for the fun of it. Initially the main wording was supposed to be different, though - it was supposed to be "Saliheen and Farhana are getting married! Guess when?" and the scratch off portion was supposed to reveal the date. But I decided to make the changes a few weeks before we sent the cards for printing... because I am just a kakak yang suka menyusahkan adik like that :P

31 October 2013 (Thursday)
Bridal Henna Session with Syraskins

After getting my bridal spa and massage done and printing of collateral settled during the earlier part of the day, I went home hoping for a quick nap before my 10pm henna session with Syraskins. But it was not meant to be, because Syra called me slightly before 5pm, asking whether she can come by at 6pm instead because her 6pm client was still settling other things and requested for postponement of appointment.

Since I initially wanted the 6pm slot anyway (but didn't get since that other bride beat me to it... well, like I always say, if it's your rezeki, it will be your rezeki hehe) and I didn't really feel like doing anything else at that point of time, I agreed! So Syra and her sister came at about 6.30pm, and it must have been the most. freaking. boring. henna session they have ever been to... because it was just me, myself and I hahaha.

I didn't want a big festive henna session since I'm not a big henna fan in the first place (I've mentioned this here and here) and the only reason I was having bridal henna is because I succumbed to societal pressure and had some on just to "nampak macam pengantin". All I wanted was to get it over and done with as quickly as possible and with no fanfare so that was an *achievement unlocked*!

Picture of the bridal henna on my feet! None from my hands because by the time my sister came home to tolong ambikkan gambar, the henna was dry and peeling and looked pretty horrendous.


 Mandatory happy shot with the henna masters!



Them henna masters told me to leave the henna on for 4 hours to max out effect but because I didn't want to risk the henna stain staying longer than I wanted it to (again, I reiterate, I do not fancy henna all that much and specifically wanted them off as quickly as possible after the wedding), aku pun cowboy and peeled the henna off after 1 and a half hours hahahahaha.

1 November 2013 (Friday)
Onsite venue visit
Delivery of Ola Lola Trays

And then came... the day before the wedding. JENG JENG JENG.



Can't really remember what happened during the early part of the day because it went by very very very fast (I do remember a string of hasty phonecalls and flurry of emails though... masih ah nak bertukar emails at the eleventh hour hahaha) but by 5pm, I made my way down to Silat Federation to take a look at the pelamin and decor setup and make sure everything was in place. 

My mamat was already there with his family and groomsmen and this was one of the things that he and one of his groomsmen Sham were up to:


TENGAH PRACTISE NAMPAK? TENGAH PRACTISE NAMPAK? Hahahahaha.

Went home straight after that to finish up last minute DIY photoshoot props (like pasting and cutting out the alphabets you saw in an earlier picture here) with the help of my sisters and the laki bini si Poji and Nani, start packing final payments into envelopes and start packing my staycation bag.

And while I was doing all that, my living room was buzzing with chatter and activity because a whole bunch of relatives came over at night to makan makan!!! I was very happy to see my aunts and uncles and cousins merrymaking over at my place, made the whole night really meriah :D

Just after they left, the wonderful girls of Ola Lola came over to my place to deliver my gift trays (gift trays from me to my mamat) after delivering his (gift trays from him to me) and it was pretty surreal to see all the barang barang that we've accumulated over the past year all wrapped, tied and prettied up for our very own special occasion!


 Gift trays sitting in all their prettiness against an equally pretty backdrop <3

After I was done with all the packing and fussing around, I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep and expected to toss and turn in bed that night (a number of ex-brides told me this will happen!) but as it turns out I wasn't nervous or anxious enough for that to happen??? Because believe it or not, both of us (I asked Saliheen after our wedding day) slept like babies that night.

But babies we were not, because babies don't do adult things like get married the next day... betul tak? :P

9 comments:

  1. OMG! The lower left picture of you in the buat mata bulat-bulat contacts..you look like Blair from Gossip Girl lah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! i don't see the resemblance (had to google her, i don't watch gossip girls) but thank you for being so sweet :D

      Delete
  2. I must refrain from reading ur post in the public laaaa....tersengih sampai tahap nak ketawa baca ur post... esp the kakak ju on part...lol

    ~Prettyorkid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lololololol next time must read secret secret in private eh? dah macam baca benda yang terlarang lah pulak :P

      Delete
  3. I have been reading ur blog quite sometime now...
    Big hugs for the cantik gila wedding babe!!
    may u have a blessed wedding n marriage life too...

    P.s. I hav abt 6 months to plan a wedding, settle my home reno n furnitures.... n i wan to thank u for saving my life with the kawin2 planning... tk sabar nk baca ur rumah khronicles episode plak... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for reading, and thanks for the virtual big hugs!!! hehehe the well wishes are greatly appreciated too :D

      all the best for your wedding (or is the wedding over and done with already? heh) and your marriage, of course, insya Allah everything will run beautifully! <3

      Delete
    2. Havent over... just started planning last month...so got 5 months left to plan a wedding n settle our house...haha...
      Thank u for doa!

      Delete
  4. Just cuz you're not used to seeing yourself in those doe eyed contacts doesn't make you look less prettier! As for you not enjoying the extractions, I think I feel like a masochist. I love the pain that comes from extractions ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i guess i should put them on more often so i can get used to them then??? :D and zomg lah, the extraction is crazy painful! your pain threshold must be much, much higher than mine and you're right - masochist, much?! :O

      Delete